In the event of a child’s absence, a call should be made to the school office between 8:00 A.M. and 9:30 A.M. Parents/guardians are also required to Provide advanced written notice to the school office if a student is to be later or leave early for medical appointments. Please remember if a student is signed out before 1:10 PM it will not count as a day. It is important to note that this contact does not automatically designate an absence as “excused.”
- The school staff will call the homes of absent students when parents have not notified the school office of the absence.
- After FIVE UNEXCUSED a letter of concern will be sent by administration. Subsequent unexcused absences will result in additional warnings/notifications.
- UNEXCUSED absences may require a parent conference prior to readmission of the student to school. The state of New Jersey requires the administration to report to the court system in cases of excessive unexcused absenteeism.
- Pupils are provided an opportunity to complete assignments missed because of an absence. However, it would be unwise to believe that one can make up the learning activity of an entire school day/class period. pupils will be given the same number of days as the absence to make up missed work. If “incomplete” for the marking period, the pupil will receive an “incomplete” for the marking period. If work is missing during the final marking period of the school year, the grade will be left to the discretion of the teacher.
- The administration may waive these procedures based on discretionary information.
Please remember: YOUR CHILDREN HAVE A FULL WORKDAY AT SCHOOL FROM 1st PERIOD THROUGH 8th. PLEASE MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO ALLOW YOUR CHILDREN TO STAY THE ENTIRE TIME. If students must arrive late or leave early, parents/guardians should write a note informing teachers of this. This will allow the teacher to plan the best exit strategy without disruption from a call from the office. Of course, emergencies are always the exception and will be handled accordingly.