The Board of Education shall transport eligible pupils to and from school and school related activities in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:39-1, N.J.A.C. 6A:27-1, and Board policy. Transportation shall be provided only to eligible public and nonpublic school pupils, authorized school staff members, and adults serving as approved chaperones.
Routes and Stops:
Prior to the beginning of each school year, routes are established so that vehicles will travel the roads safely and serve the largest number of students within a reasonable time.
- Students are only to ride the bus assigned to them.
- Students are expected to be in compliance with rules and regulations.
- Parents are responsible and liable for any willful or malicious damage done to school buses by their children.
- Only students that are eligible for transportation will be permitted to ride the bus. No student may ride a bus that they are not assigned on the driver's roster sheet.
- Please give the drivers at least a 10 minute window prior to your stop time. Also, you must allow 10 minutes after your stop time for the bus in case there are any unforeseen circumstances that might cause a bus to be late, such as traffic or weather.
- It is recommended that you wait for your bus in a safe place. Do not play or stand in the road. Respect the property of the area where your stop is located.
- Please do not approach the bus until it has come to a complete stop and the driver has opened the door. If you must cross a roadway to get to your stop, you should cross only when the school bus arrives and stops, the red lights are flashing, the stop arm has been engaged, and the driver has signaled you to cross. ALWAYS cross in front of the bus (at a distance of 10 feet), NEVER behind.
- Enter the bus in an orderly manner, take your seat, buckle your seat belt and remain seated. Keep your head and arms inside the bus at all times. Keep the aisles clear of feet, legs, arms, backpacks, etc.
- Keep the noise level at a minimum for the safest driving conditions.
- Follow the instructions of your bus driver. The driver has the authority to assign or change seats whenever necessary. Behave appropriately and be courteous to the driver and your fellow passengers.
- Students are required to maintain classroom-like behavior. Keep your hands to yourself. Pushing, grabbing, and reaching over seats is not permitted. Vandalism to any part of the bus will not be tolerated and will be treated with appropriate discipline.
- Oversized objects (musical instruments, sports equipment, skateboards, etc.) are not permitted on the bus to school or home from school.
- Many of our buses are equipped with video surveillance for the safety of all passengers.
- Never attempt to pick up anything dropped underneath the bus.
- Help your child to be on time at the bus stop. We recommend arriving 10 minutes early.
- Parents are responsible for the safety of students until they board the bus. We encouraged parents to escort their children to the bus stop, especially along and across roadways.
- Please educate your child to cooperate with the bus driver, and insist on correct behavior while waiting for and riding on the bus.
- Parents must notify schools with change of home, work and cell phone numbers, as well as student emergency list.
- Parents of K to 5th grade students are required to meet them at the stop at the end of their school day. Should there be no one to receive the child, he/she will be taken back to the school and transportation home becomes the responsibility of the parent.
- For departmental safety and tracking, your child is only permitted to ride the bus he/she is assigned to and get on and off at their assigned stop only. No ineligible riders are allowed on the bus.